The 356 was created by Ferdinand “Ferry” Porsche (son of the founder of the German company Ferdinand), who founded the Austrian company. Like the Volkswagen Beetle designed by Ferdinand Porsche Sr., the 356 was an air-cooled four-cylinder, rear engine, rear-wheel drive with bodywork and integrated structure. The chassis was a completely new design as was the bodywork, the work of the Porsche employee Erwin Komenda, though some mechanical components, including the engine block and some components of the suspension, were based on and initially purchased from Volkswagen. The 356 was a luxury sports car and the first Porsche series car. Engineering innovations continued throughout the years of production, contributing to its sporting success and popularity.
Production began in 1948 in Gmünd, Austria, where about 50 cars were built. On June 8, 1948, the first car obtained the relevant approval: it was the Porsche 356/1 Roadster this was followed by the 356/2 with production continuing to 1950. In 1950 the factory was moved to Zuffenhausen, Germany, and here are the first 356 retrospect called, “Pre-A”. Initially only 1100 cc, then 1300cc and from 1952 also 1500 cc they were easily recognizable by the windshield divided into two parts by a central rib. In 1956 the 356 was replaced by the 356 A. At the 1959 Frankfurt Motor Show, the new 356 B (T5) made its debut with a new wider coupé and cabriolet bodywork that reached the end of production, bumpers raised by about ten centimeters, headlights set significantly higher. The horn grilles located next to the even more prominent front turn signals were flatter and featured two chrome discs. In addition, the hood handle widened further downwards. Both license plate lighting bulbs were integrated into the uppermost rear bumper, while the reversing light was mounted under the bumper. The interior was further improved, 3-spoke steering wheel, improved brakes, optional radial tires, standard quarter windows, rear-view mirror placed on the door and no longer on the fender, individually folding rear seats, and new gearbox (typ 716) fully synchronized with casings made of painted aluminum and magnesium alloy. The 1300cc engine disappeared, while the 1600cc became available in three power levels: Dame, (60 hp), Super 75 (75 hp), and Super 90 (90 hp). The Super 90 adopted the standard radial tires and differentiated pitch springs on the rear axle. General production of the 356 continued until April 1965, well after the new 911 model made its debut in the autumn of 1963. 76,313 units were produced. Of these, 4413 356 B (T5) coupe in 1960. Less than half the Super 90s.
State of the art
Completely restored, in excellent condition.
Certificates & statements
ASI Targa Oro.
Italian registration and plates.
Giro di Sicilia.
Rallye Monte-Carlo Historic.
Coppa d’Oro delle Dolomiti.
Coppa delle Alpi by 1000 Miglia.
Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.
Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance.
Chantilly Arts & Elegance Richard Mille.
Concorso d’eleganza Villa D’Este.
Porsche Club Events.