PORSCHE 356 PRE-A 1500 SPEEDSTER-1954
The 356 Speedster is regarded as one of the most fascinating cars in history. Born from an idea of the brilliant American importer Max Hoffman, who in 1950 suggested to Porsche the creation of a car: spider, spartan, light and fast. The following year, the “America Roadster” was born, the progenitor of the 356 Speedster. This car was a success on the part of the public, but a failure from an economic point of view, given that the production costs and consequently the sales costs were very high. It was therefore decided for a cheaper version, but with the same concepts. To lower costs, they opted for a steel bodywork, removable windows with fabric frames, a canvas hood without lining, a smaller windshield, an interior reduced to the bare minimum and two simple lightened seats.
Thus was born the 356 Speedster 1.500, which saw its debut in America in September 1954, while in Europe we had to wait for the summer of 1955
Thus lightened and with a lively 1,500 cc engine, the Speedster showed off very reactive dynamic behavior and surprising acceleration, which immediately appealed to lovers of sporty driving. In fact, the car soon took part in races, where it also achieved some victories. such as the famous actor James Dean, who frequently delighted in racing with his beloved Speedster
Among the various competitions, the Speedster 1500 also took part in the Mille Miglia in 1954; which makes it by right eligible for the most famous historic car competition in the world.
The 356 Speedster 1500 “Pre-A” is in fact particularly sought after by enthusiasts, not only because it was produced in small numbers (especially those built in ’54), but also because it was the only one to have the privilege of participating in the 1000 Miglia.
Over the years the 356 Speedster saw some evolutions until 1958, when it was replaced by the 356 convertible D.§
Our Porsche 356 Speedster 1500 Pre-A 1954.
– One of the very rare pre-A Speedsters from 1954
– Accompanied by the “Porsche Certificate of Origin”
– Complete restoration at a very high level, all documented with photographs
– Car born white, then repainted in the splendid blue color (original color of the Speedster range)
– Competition conditions
– The car was sold new in the USA, like practically all ’54 Speedsters as this version was initially created for the American market, from an idea of Hoffman (Porsche importer for the USA).
– This is the 197th Speedster built of only 200 built in ’54
– The last owner bought the car with the intention of participating in the Mille Miglia. So in 2010 a complete restoration was carried out, entrusted to the expert Cattaneo Ermanno of Vercelli.
– The interior has been meticulously followed by “Ferraresi”
– Finally, after the restoration was completed in 2011, the car took part in the 2011 Mille Miglia edition
Over the years this Speedster continued to take part in other events and demonstrations, then in 2017 the owner decided to carry out a further bodywork restoration, entrusting the car to a well-known Paduan restorer “Ghirardi”.
Gold ASI approved car
|Year of construction:||1954|
|Initial registration date:||January 1954|
|Model:||356 Pre-A 1500 Speedster|
|Cylinder capacity:||1500 Liter|
|New / used:||Used car|
|Ready to drive:||yes|
Petru Moldovanu from Ruote Da Sogno s.r.l. looks forward to your questions and is happy to help you.
Your inquiry has been sent to the seller.Register at Elferspot