The service records indicate that this vehicle was owned by Mr. Evangelista in the late 1990s and was subjected to a six-year comprehensive restoration. Light Horse Engineering completed the metal and paint work in Massapequa, New York. The entire chassis was disassembled, stripped to steel, media blasted, metal finished, sealed, primed, prepped, and repainted in Glasurit Silver Metallic. The panels were pre-fit before paint to ensure the best possible result. The gauges were sent out and restored by Palo Alto Speedometer. A new wire harness, fuse block, and battery cable were ordered from YnZ’s Yesterdays Parts. NOS or OEM parts were purchased from Stoddard and NLA Limited. The red leather upholstery with oatmeal carpets was sourced from Auto’s International. After the cosmetics were completed, the braking, suspension, and transmission were overhauled and installed. A 912 pushrod engine was sourced and rebuilt by PSH with a big bore 1720cc piston and cylinders. Countless pages of the discussion boards between Mr. Evangelista and the members of the 356 Registry are on file and display the devotion he had towards ensuring the proper restoration of his 356. By 2004, the restoration was completed, and the vehicle was sold to Mr. Lambert who lived in Greenwood Village, Colorado.
After acquiring the 356, Mr. Lambert entered the 356 in the PCA Concours D‘ Elegance where it received 271 out of 300 points. On May 25, 2005, an appraisal was done by the Paterek Brothers and was regarded as a beautifully restored example that was in show condition. On June 29, 2006, the 356 was sold to the past owner, the vehicle was serviced by Classic Investments, LLC., and Scuderia Rampante. Over $10,000 was spent on July 24, 2017, at 25,049 miles by Scuderia Rampante who performed the following: replaced the tie rod ends, link and kingpins, wheel seals, sway bar bushings, steering stabilizer, and wheel bearings. The brake master cylinder was replaced, and the braking system was bled. The valves and the points were adjusted, and the jets were calibrated to factory spec.
The exterior features original glass, optional vent windows, U.S. overrider bumpers, and rare factory Hella fog lights. The paintwork, brightwork, aluminum trim, and seals are all in fantastic condition with excellent gaps and panel fit. The upholstery features VDO instrumentation, Nardi wooden steering wheel, and a Blaupunkt L/M/U radio. The gas tank, fuel sender, and seat recliners are date coded and original to the car along with date-coded Lemmerz 4 ½ x 15 painted silver wheels with Michelin XZX 165 SR15 tires.
Excellent mechanical condition with a strong running 1600cc flat-four engine, smooth shifting manual 4-speed transmission with no grinding, and 4-wheel drum brakes that work perfectly. The engine is a blank 912 engine that has been stamped with the chassis number (101366). Complete with spare, jack, Certificate of Authenticity, and 18 years of extensive service records. An excellent opportunity to acquire a well-maintained and documented T1 356A.
History 356A October 1955 – September 1959
In late 1955, with numerous small but significant changes, the 356 A was introduced. Its internal factory designation, „Type 1“, gave rise to its nickname „T1“ among enthusiasts. In early 1957 a second revision of the 356 A was produced, known as Type 2 (or T2).