Since the record drives of the Porsche 919 Evo in Spa and at the Nordschleife, everybody knows, that Porsches loves to smash lap records around the world. Zuffenhausen’s motor sport department aimed at the lap record for street legal cars at Road Atlanta circuit this time. They brought the Porsche 911 GT2 RS to Georgia and trieb their best. With outstanding results…
4,088 kilometres in 1:24,88 minutes
The Porsche 991.2-based 911 GT2 RS was driven by Randy Pobst, GT world champion and David Donohue, Le Mans class winner and son of Porsche legend Mike Donohue. With an average speed of 173.38 kph (or 107.62 mph) Pobst claimed the new lap record of 1:24,88 in the GT2 RS. But the Uber-911 with its 700 hp biturbo boxer engine wasn’t the only Porsche, smashing the old record that day!
© Porsche AG
The two americans lapped the most famous track in Georgia in another road legal Porsche 911 GT3 RS just about one and a half seconds slower and posted a laptime of 1:26,24 minutes. Both cars used a road legal Michelin tire for their respective runs. Thanks to the hilly track layout, some awesome action shots were taken. The Porsche 911 GT2 RS, despite all its downforce trickery, even lost contact to the road surface at some points.
Even for a professional driver, huge power can be intimidating.
– Randy Pobst, GT Weltmeister
Race driver Donohue described it as an “incredible experience” to thrash the biturbo six cylinder around the big dipper, that Road Atlanta is. The sheer power and performance capabilites of the fastest production 911 even impressed the otherwise cunning, former GT world champion Pobst: “Even for a professional driver, huge power can be intimidating”, he admitted. But due to its superior traction, the phenomenal brakes and the immense amount of grip, thanks to the aerodynamics and the tires, the Porsche 911 GT2 RS always remained in control and distinguished itself as a pretty managable car.
The president and CEO of Porsche Cars North America, Klaus Zellmer, was ecstatic about the results, Pobst and Donohue achieved. PCNA’s headquarter is just 60 miles away from the track and Road Atlanta holds a lot of great memories for Porsche. Zellmer told, the whole team is “thrilled to set the production car record”.
The Porsche 911 GT2 RS:
- model year: ab 2017
- model name: Porsche 991 GT2 RS
- engine configuration: 6-Zylinder Biturbo Boxermotor (wassergekühlt)
- engine capacity (cm3): 3,800
- power output (kW/PS): 515/700 at 7,000 rpm
- torque (Nm): 750 at 2,500 bis 4,500 rpm
- compression ratio: 9,0 : 1
- fuel injection: direct fuel injection (DFI)
- ignition: single ignition
- gearbox: 7-speed PDK
- wheels: front / rear 9,5 J x 20/12,5 J x 21
- tires: front / rear 265/35 ZR20 / 325/30 ZR21
- brakes: 410 mm front, 390 mm ceramic composite discs, 6-piston monobloc fixed calipers up front and 4-piston monobloc fixed calipers at the rear
- wheelbase: (mm) 2453
- dimensions L x W x H (mm) 4549 x 1880 x 1297
- curb weight: 1,470 kg
- acceleration 0 – 100 kph (0 – 62 mph): 2,8 s
- top speed (kph): 340 (211 mph)