The genesis of the Porsche 356—and with it, Porsche itself—may have been in the humble Volkswagen Type 1 Beetle. Yet by the time 356 production wound down in 1965, the beloved marque had developed a sports car formula that is still felt, both aesthetically and mechanically, in its present-day offerings.
This 1964 356 C 1600 Coupe, one of 4,744 Karmann-bodied examples built in the penultimate year of the model’s production, benefits from mechanical improvements such as four-wheel disc brakes and a 1.6-liter air-cooled flat-four mated to a four-speed manual gearbox. Even in its most basic configuration, as found here, this motor produced a punchy 74 horsepower at 5,000 rpm—enough to ensure sprightly performance on both road and track.
Completed on 25 February 1964, this 356 C was delivered new to a James Snowden of Watch Hill, Rhode Island in May of that year via Max Hoffman of New York. Then, as now, it was finished in the very attractive combination of Irish Green over a Fawn leatherette interior.
Though its subsequent ownership is at the present unknown, this car—which retains its numbers-matching engine and gearbox, as confirmed by the accompanying Kardex copy and Porsche Certificate of Authenticity—benefitted from an exhaustive restoration by marque specialist William Briggs of European Motorworks in Lincolnville, Maine. Completed under prior ownership, this comprehensive job is said to have cost over $100,000.
Acquired by Terry Adderley in 2012, this Porsche enjoyed attentive care while in his large and varied collection; as a result, its high-quality restoration presents well today. Now offered with a tool roll, Porsche Certificate of Authenticity, and Kardex copy, this 1964 356 C 1600 would no doubt be welcome at many exhibition and driving events, offering its next owner the opportunity to acquaint themselves with a model at the very foundation of the ongoing Porsche legend.