With only a handful of RHD 1955 final year production Pre-A cabriolets built, we believe chassis number 60791 to be the only car to retain its matching numbers engine and transmission.
According to Porsche records it appears there were only 10, RHD 1955 Pre-A Cabriolets built and only 2 are known to have survived and this car in the only matching numbers example!
BACKGROUND TO THE 356 PRE-A CABRIOLET
Porsche’s first series-produced 356 cabriolets appeared in 1950, with Karosseriewerk Reutter building five examples and Gläser of Dresden issuing another 33. Production ramped up with Reutter assuming all 356 cabriolet production in 1954 and continuing production through to the end of the 356 series in 1965.
As it was both luxurious and expensive, the model enjoyed popularity with touring drivers, and its fixed windshield, a different convertible top and fully bolstered seats made it a comfortable choice for all-day cross-country travel. Of all the refinements, it is perhaps the top itself that improved the driving experience the most, with numerous layers and padding to dampen noise and keep out the cold. The cabriolet would become the spiritual ancestor of numerous luxury sports cars from Zuffenhausen.
BRIEF HISTORY OF CHASSIS NUMBER : 60791
According to the Cardex it states the Pre-A Cabriolet originally left the factory finished in Sand Grey paintwork with a Dark Brown Leather interior but conflicting record show the car as being delivered in Pearl Grey.
To support this AFN Owner John Adlington (Pictured Below) remembers the car as one of the first Porsches he sold as a Salesman. He remembers the car as being ‘beigey – brown’, which would tie in with the official recorded colour of Sand Beige.
A letter from Porsche noted that John Adlington remembers selling the car to the first owner a Mrs Mead who was nicknamed ‘Mrs Twinkle’ by the mechanics at AFN because she would remain seated in the car when works were carried out under the dashboard. She also kept her large dog in the car who regularly broke the passenger window!
FIRST OWNER: Mrs Mead (Mrs Twinkle) – Purchase Date 27/05/1955
SECOND OWNER: Mr Brierley of Rochdale – Ownership 1977 to 1982
Mr Brierley had the car repainted into yellow and he covered 6000 miles during his ownership.
THIRD OWNER: Mr Cleaver of Coventry – Ownership 1982 to 1998
FOURTH OWNER: Mr Barr of Horsham – Ownership 1998 to 1999
FIFTH OWNER: Mr Parkinson: Ownership 1999 to 2003
SIXTH OWNER: Mr Smith of Billericay: Ownership 2003 to 2016
Owner of Classic Porsche Specialist PR Services
CURRENT OWNER: Mr Easton: Purchased 06/11/2016
Pictured below is David Cleaver giving the Pre-A a quick wash and polish in the late 1980’s!
When Mike Smith of PR Services purchased the car in. 2003 he remembered the car as being in quite a mess. He found a record of the car having had a front end accident in 1962 (AFN cardex) and Porsche had in fact repaired the car with a later type front suspension (Porsche did this sort of thing back in the day).
Over several decades the car had undergone several changes of colour and had been subjected to some wet English winters which had left the car looking very tired and unloved. Mike decided to carry out a full restoration which was the only option with a car of such rarity he employed the services of Classic Porsche restorers Sportwagen to undertake the body shell restoration.
The following pictures show the condition of the body shell prior to the restoration.
Between 2010 and 2019, chassis number ‘60791’ underwent a long term documented restoration at the hands of leading UK Classic Porsche specialist Export 56, PR Services and Sportwagen.
A comprehensive body shell restoration was completed by Sportwagen with the car being carefully dismantled to a bare shell and all parts inspected and documented.
Export 56 purchased the vehicle in November 2016 and completing the restoration in 2019.
All restoration works have been fully documented, please contact us for a full program of works carried out to the car.
Reunited with the original engine after 30 years!
The engine parted company with the car over 30 years ago, It was found by Paul Smith of PR Services who recalls he was purchasing a collection of 356 parts from a customer and stubbed his toe on an engine under a plastic cover and on further inspection it was Engine No: P34694, the original engine from 427 DMP!